Following the Railway Clearing House standards published in 1923, most of the main Railway companies adopted this design of wagon buffer for their frieght stock. Â In particular the LMS and Southern Railway. Â Whether or not the wagon had vacuum brakes, it would seem that this longer pattern of buffer was used in preference to tthe short mineral type (our reference 40176). Â Photographs in Essery's LMS Wagons Vol 1Â show a preponderance of wagons with these buffers. Â The GWR had a very similar design differing only in the mouth of the casting which was extended into a cylindrical collar rather than the ring at the front of this buffer - a detail which could perhaps be overlooked in 4mm scale. Â See page 61, plate 35 in Atkins,Beard, and Tourret's GWR Goods Wagons.